1. What books/authors have influenced you and why?
Nikki Giovanni is my favorite poet. I was introduced to her work in High school and immediately knew I wanted to be a poet. Her style and genuine black girl magic was a literary warm hug; one that spoke to who I was as a black girl growing up in the 80s and 90s.
2. How do you develop your plot and characters?
All of my stories come from my personal life. I write about what and who I know so it feels real and can connect to my readers.
3. Tell me about your protagonist. What's your favorite trait and/or weakness?
Most of my protagonist at the moment are young black girls. They have various traits and weaknesses, they are multifaceted and complex like me and the black/brown girls I knew growing up.
4. What is your preferred method for readers to get in touch with you? (website, blog, social media?) Please include links.
You can reach me via twitter or instagram @fromajwithlove. You can also email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
5. If you could go back in time and give yourself advice, what would it be? I think I would go back to the summer before undergraduate school. This was such a heavy time for me. I was leaving NYC for the first time, saying goodbye to childhood friends and journeying into a new world. Being a first- generation college graduate I might say to myself, "this is about you, make the most of it, try not to carry the weight on your own shoulders... and It's good to cry."